Getting Into the Flow - a State of Mind

"Rain Again" acrylic, latex and chalk on canvas 48" x 48"
If paintings sit around in my studio for awhile, maybe for years, they start talking to me. I see them in a very different light that time creates so that I must return them to the easel and give the work fresh attention. This one has been with me for a long time and it was so satisfying to paint and draw on top of this canvas. In this case, the canvas is nice and thick and can take a lot of layers with grace.

In contrast to starting on a virgin canvas that needed to be built up in layers, this one had the right bones. I simply needed to work with the muscles and skin. And I found that setting my intention to give it all of my focus and energy worked to put me into a state of flow.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/199707/finding-flow

One of my favorite books on this subject is "Finding Flow" By Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi - 1997.

"Almost any activity can produce flow provided the relevant elements are present, so it is possible to improve the quality of life by making sure that the conditions of flow are a constant part of everyday life."   Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Painting gets me there the fastest for I can get lost in the textures, colors and patterns.
May you find something delicious and nutritious to dive into and find your own flow!



Comments

Popular Posts