Printmaking Studio Leaves San Francisco

At the Press on December 2, 2107
Gruenwald Press is moving to McKinleyville, CA and I am saying goodbye to a genuine San Francisco treasure. This marks the end of a chapter that was rich in imagery and associations. This studio was located very close to my own and so a key piece of what made my neighborhood great will be gone.

It is part of the trend of artists leaving the city because they are priced out and want to be able to make their art and still afford to live.
https://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/02/survey-says-34-percent-of-bay-area-residents-are-ready-to-leave.html

https://ww2.kqed.org/arts/2015/09/16/survey-confirms-market-forces-pushing-artists-out-of-san-francisco/

First visit on May, 2012
The days I have spent at Gruenwald Press have been some of the happiest of my life in art. Working on a copper plate opened up possibilities that I would have never realized if I had not experimented with intaglio. Entering into this studio, that I consider art heaven, and joining a group of other printmakers gave me an extraordinary education into the art of printmaking. This studio has the best combination of environment, equipment and enthusiasm that comes from a generous master printmaker who shares his expertise and insights. I feel that I have done some of my best work with Spirit Boats on paper.

Beginning in 2013, I have printed most every month producing a series of artist's proofs each time at the press. Fear of printmaking processes being too rigid, demanding and technical kept me from trying this medium for many years. But once I stepped into John Gruenwald's studio, I was enchanted and inspired to first try etching. Over time I grew to love dry point for that suits my way of working quickly. Highlights of the time with a collective of printmakers was two exhibitions that John and Catherine organized for us to show and sell our work.
http://www.gruenwaldpress.com/html/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=27&Itemid=31
Gruenwald Press also hosted many other exhibitions, Open Studios, classes and events. This vibrant space will be greatly missed by many.




Comments

Popular Posts