Giving names to art

A most amazing thing happened last night. I was sitting down with my 50+ boats spread out around me and dreading the time it would take to give them all their proper names. Starting the process I thought would take several hours, I held one up to consider the options. As I did this, a name came to me immediately. I held up a second one and the same thing happened. They were ready for me and they knew their names.

No struggling with lots of choices. A big relief and time saver. It was hard to believe this took less than 45 minutes.

All I had to do was write the name on a piece of tape and attach it to each boat, then make a list for myself so I could keep track. With that done, I had Leo take photos for me and remove the tape.

This had happened before when I first made and named these totem boats. Names come from various sources. Some refer to a place- "Hawaii", "Borneo", "Japan" or the way it looks- "Curly", "Suspension" or a personality- "Party Girl", "Happy". Others can be about an occasion that is associated with the time of creation- "Thanksgiving" or "Birthday".

Artists have to face this task over and over again with their creations. I can understand if a work eludes naming and is titled "Untitled". Often the title can help clarify the artist intention, or make the work more mysterious or funny. Titles can distract or be completely irrelevant.

But with boats usually being named for people, places or things, these boats of mine need to be honored in the same way.

Comments

  1. Jennifer, it's wonderful to read about your inspirations and distractions, your process for creating. I really like your thoughts on works being "untitled." Naming is very difficult, and not naming can give the observer the opportunity to come up with his/her own title. But in naming the boats, you give a little bit more of yourself to them, and to us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts