Four Fold Way and Mountain Time



Angeles Arrien's 12-day program was the highpoint of my summer. I was part of a special place and community. Last year I had participated in her 5-day program and had an extrodinary time. I was  excited to return to Stillheart for her 12-day program, renew my relationship with Angeles and go on a 3-day Vision Quest. Stillheart Institute is on Skyline Road near Woodside, CA.

Looking down on labyrinth and forest
from 3rd floor of Stillheart

I felt that a Vision Quest was key to reaching deeper part of myself. While I was in silence, in my big tent, in the quiet forest, fasting (with the help of a fasting solution), I was able to be still and accept what the forest, my dreams and journeys brought. It was a milestone for me.

Before we left for our solo experience, Angeles held a ceremony that gave us protection and heightened awareness.  She has been teaching this program for 30 years to help people develop their warrior, healer, teacher and visionary spirits. There were 20 other Vision Questers and 5 staff members who shared this very special time and place.

View out my tent - the ravine and redwood
The Western view on the trail going up

I had minimal drawing supplies with me and no phone, no camera, no food! I was living and drawing in an altered state. These sketches help me recall the important pieces of this quest.

SIERRA TIME

Later this August, Leo and I drove up to Silver Lake to share a cabin at Kit Carson Lodge. It was my 9th year to spend a few days in a place I feel has great healing power. It was key to healing my grief in 2005 and I fell in love with Thunder Mountain -  close to Kirkwood and Carson Pass on Hwy. 88

Drawing my iconic rock with an iPad
iPad drawing of Thunder Mountain
Being in nature is very rewarding. Living in the city, I do not get out to the open spaces often so I savor my Sierra time and shift in perspective.




Comments

Popular Posts