HONORING MY MOTHER ON HER BIRTHDAY

Mama and her Tabby.   He lived to be 31 years old!
For most of us, the dates of our parent's birthdays are marked on our internal, personal calendars. As the years go by those dates those birthdays keep the years punctuated with awareness of the stories of our family
December 30th means Mama, July 11th means Papa.
My mother, Mary, was a very sweet and supportive parent who always believed in me. She was very proud of my accomplishments and never judgmental. This was a most significant gift for it meant freedom from the traps that are found in other families. Although she did not understand what being an artist was all about, she was a good sport and became a fan as she watched me grow into my work. I encouraged her to sketch alongside of me and she would try for a few pages worth but then gave up with a "it's just not good". But if she was willing and took the time, she could make progress with what I saw as natural talent..I treasure the little drawings she did when we were together. and love that she tried.
Mama lived to be 85 years old- in good health till the last few years. A teacher, a librarian and later a substitute teacher working with the Chicago Board of Education she worked until a stroke forced her to retire. Her story has always given richness to my life and is woven into my realm of spirit boats.

Mary was a born animal lover. Her father was known for his exceptional love of his farm animals. She especially loved cats and they were sometimes numerous in her house. The winner of my mom's heart was "Tabby" who lived to be 31 years old. He could have been older for Mary plucked him from the street as an adult cat around 1981. He loved my mom deeply. We were worried when my mom died in 2007 that he would go down in health. But my sister is very much my mother's daughter and inherited his care making him a lively and happy cat until 2013.


Comments

Popular Posts