Starting my "Create the Impossible" Project

"Create The Impossible" - how compelling is that for a program title? I signed on back last February without knowing where this would take me. A project came to me as I was looking for it. My first plans disappeared as the true one emerged and that is all part of what Michael Neill teaches. I am being guided to become a curator and author, surprising because I have not aspired to either until now. One of the prompts for this program was - Ask For Help! For me this meant reaching out to my teaching artist friends to elicit their responses to questions about the nature of visual art and how that can feed our souls. 

They are contributing to a book in process that includes encounters with the essence of the building blocks of visual art.  I am collaborating with 12 fine artists to explore line, texture, scale, rhythm, composition and more. I have never taken time out to ask them what is exciting for them when they use these elements but what a gold mine this is becoming. Each time I connect to them, the creative juices just keep flowing and I know I am on a good track. Each artist has so much to give. I am looking for the most basic of the basic to make this relevant to readers on all levels. It is not a how-to but rather a how-to see more book.

The impossible part is that I never believed that I had the makings of a book in me nor could I become a kind of art coach to help my fellow artists get to the heart of their own process without a lot of intellectual interference getting in the way. My book will be about how to uncover the joy of art with fresh eyes just because it is so simple and refreshing.

Now I feel myself growing in ways I could only hope for earlier by opening to the potential just was just an ask away. Hurray for the Michael Neill and his other students who taught me to think bigger and run with my dream.


Photo was taken in October 2020 at the deYoung Open Exhibition.




Comments

Popular Posts