Art Hurts

Late in the evening, things can happen - painful reminders that we artists are not invincible.
This story starts with two umbrella stands that I bought at Goodwill. There they stood, with some really nice raw materials that I could use for my sculptures. They didn't have a price so the woman at the counter says- $12. They just barely balanced on my bike basket as I rode them home for they are rather tall.  I really liked the faux twigs being slightly bent. They are not wood but look and feel like the real thing.
The first step was to unwrap the lacing that held the sticks to the metal frame. Starting at the top, I unwound some plastic lacing that came off as curly lines that will be great additions to other work.
There were four levels of lacing. I thought if I got the first one off, I could pull the sticks out and speed up the unlacing on the subsequent levels.  The first stick came out easily. So did the second.
Two umbrella stands being taken apart
But the third was very tight and I pulled and pulled. This taxed my patience. I pulled harder and something very freaky happened. The end of the strong mostly unbending stick ended up going into my open mouth, ramming itself against the roof of my mouth. And I had done this all by myself!
It was shockingly painful and I tasted blood. I did not realize that I was working with mouth open as a master De-constructor.
Ouch- I really had hurt myself. And the pain lingers like crazy.
This is not the first time this kind of thing has happened for I have been a studio artist for most all of my life. Other recent mishaps and accidents are burned finger from hot glue gun working with feathers and an utility knife falling straight down into my big toe. My mother would send me articles about safety issues concerning artists. But these little baby set backs are nothing compared to the satisfaction of the end result and I smile through my pain.


Comments

Popular Posts