Incubating boats

Swing- finished on March 2, 2014
Incubating Spirit Boats in their shell forms
Tonight, I decided to enter the Art Span Auction with one of my sculptural boats. It was late and I did not have the energy to start a boat from scratch. Luckily, there was a box of boats already covered with their skins. I like to call this incubation- or keeping something in the proper conditions for development later.

Choosing one of the shells that had a pale ochre skin already glued down, I went to work to finish it in pretty much one session. Getting ready for my March workshops, there are a lot of supplies at hand so I don't have to dig deep to find the right stuff.  This is an ideal situation for late night spirit boat making- shell ready and supplies out in the open. The batter is mixed and the cake is ready to be baked!

When things are "incubating"- off to the side, it can be a lot of fun to get back to them. . The creative spark has already been lit and it needs a second spark to bring all the ingredients together.
That is why I love my older stuff hanging around as incentive to work with them again and see what happens.

Comments

Popular Posts