Shopping Bag Handles

Pico checks out sticks and bag handles for my installation.
In the spirit of trying to keep my supplies simple and if possible, cost-free, I am happy to use recycled shopping bag handles. When you take the handles off the bags, the action is fun and the result, when flattened, is a nice size piece of rather stiff paper to work with. I find the tactile quality of the tube gives me a lot of options.

This paper can be woven or hung to cover large areas. It is strong, has a nice rich coffee brown tone and because it is folded over several times to create the handles, there is a subtle pattern of fold lines that creates character.
Friends visit Open Studios where handles have become tree trunks.

 For Open Studios a year ago, I used the handles to make abstract tall tree trunks to go on either side of my hanging Earth Canoe that has the handles woven around the wooden frame.

Often, I use a liquid coffee wash over the paper to vary the colors. With a wash of gel medium over that, the paper is flexible and sturdy.



Comments

Popular Posts