Keeping My Father's Spirit Alive

Paul Ewing's portrait in clay - 2004 by loving daughter
My life began by being super- changed by supportive, loving, easy going, honest parents and grandparents. The beginning of my life with Spirit Boats began December 3004 when my father Paul passed away and I used the boat as the metaphor as passage out of my grief using his notes in my collages. In this way, I felt his notes would help keep his spirit alive. We were very close and it was painful to loose his physical presence in my life. He was always coming up with ideas for me to try out, loved to come into my studio and sit with me or just talk. He was inspirational in how he approached life, like a game of chess or number equations, neither of which I had on my radar but admired him for diving into his passions with a full heart. He showed me a way to be in love with wonderment around simple things like the stars at night or a dish of ice cream and he was my first best friend.

Today my studio holds ceramic portrait busts I did of both of my parents when they visited me on several occasions and were kind and patient enough to sit for me. The Romans used to have portrait busts in their homes to pay honor to their ancestors so I feel I am continuing a tradition that keeps love alive over a long time.  My father was a long time subject for me and his face was super familiar.  The earliest drawings I did as a kid were of my family. He was so excited to watch me draw and would encourage me to keep going. Later, when I transitioned into hand built clay portraits, the task of capturing his
likeness became more subtle as I had challenges in the modeling of his features. I am so grateful to him for this time we had together in the studio so I still have his presence still on my shelf and feel him there to guide my work.



Comments

Popular Posts