Spring Break in Europe

Swiss Strawberries picked in early June
I took a month off - mid May to mid June to travel with my family and friends. Family reunion, relaxing in an Umbrian villa, Torre Focolino, http://www.emmavillas.com/en/countryside-villas/umbria/torre-focolino-6+2/photo-gallery.aspx#gallery and a road trip in Sicily. Time in Italy and Switzerland felt so luxurious and satisfying since it had been 13 years since we had been in Europe. I felt like a millionaire. I post this photo taken in the Vaud area of Switzerland because it reminds me of grounding which I practice every day. In this case the earth gave the gift of plump strawberries that were a delicious way to celebrate this place.
This break also meant that I lost my momentum on keeping this blog going. My focus was not on writing but rather on sketching and capturing my experiences digitally. The act of sketching most every day was the ritual I kept as a way to integrate with place. Drawings also gave me confidence in my ability to translate my way of seeing onto my faithful sketch book. I use a Scripta note book since the price is right and the paper is smooth http://www.hamiltonbook.com/scripta-notes-large-brick-red-blank-journal
One day in Rome my 20 month old grandson got into my sketchbook and started drawing on top of my sketch of the Pantheon. He has great energy and when he picks up a pencil, he proves he is a natural born artist. I was excited by the marks he made and this is inspirational for other work to follow. It reminds me of a book I love by David Macaulay titled "Rome Antics".  If you want to know more about drawing in Rome this is a great way to tour with Macaulay in his Ted Talk. http://www.ted.com/talks/david_macaulay_s_rome_antics#t-670014

Comments

Popular Posts