How Would I Design Freedom?



Photo by Leo Germano
How would I design freedom?  is the question asked by the Yerba Buena Center for Arts submissions committee to be considered for a fellowship. http://www.ybca.org/initiatives/ybca-fellows
http://www.ybca.org/initiatives/ybca-fellows  That was the incentive to write this essay.
I design freedom by addressing fear and include value around creating ceremony to bring us together. My process releases fear through the art of the metaphysical Spirit Boat that one travels in to navigate the unknown while being held in safety. In my art, I use a symbol of a boat that can carry us to freedom. My boats are usually made of recycled plastic and covered in a paper skin in a way that I can teach others in a simple yet profound way.  The Spirit Boat embodies power and taps into ancient wisdom while emitting high energy and access to a higher level of awareness. My mission as a “Spiritboatist” is to have as many people as possible become free of fear using this metaphor in their lives.

Being open to receiving is freeing. I employ the four directions to receive the benefits of the medicine wheel in the Native American tradition. We are designed as intuitive humans to evolve into our greatest potential. I am interested in how can happen, and in this case, within an art museum.


Freedom to me means being fearless and able to move ahead with free will. If we are fearful we are always finding danger, limits or ways that trap us in a prison of our mind. In groups, fear feeds itself multiplying the negative impact. Other’s energies are easily transmitted and can affect our sense of freedom.

At Burning Man, the act of burning the giant sculpture symbolizes closure of a shared time and marks the inclusive experience with a dramatic ritual. It also frees the spirit of the “Man” from the limits of its structure and this image plants itself deep within the psyche. We, as a culture, crave ceremony that united us with positive purpose. Burning Man uses the power of fire. I use the power of water and air with the Spirit Boat as the vehicle to transcend these elements.

My greatest sense of freedom comes from letting go of blocks, universal beliefs that I am not good enough or will be rejected. I use an African seal phrase to dispel doubt, “and that’s a story that doesn’t need to happen!”. This affirmation was taught to me by Angeles Arrien and I love how she said it sealed the energy of the negative and is freeing in how it vocalizes the intention. There are many other practices we can use to create ceremony around freedom and are rooted in deep wisdom.

We need to find practical ways that closure can help liberate our spirits. A closing ceremony can mark the conclusion of a shared process and give us valuable reflection and feedback. We seek new paths that can shift our future to the positive, but if we do this too fast, and without the ceremony of closure, we can make the same mistakes over and over. The best form of closure includes check ins that promote us to do our best next time.

Bringing these ideas to a wider audiences would engender potential to find greater balance for ourselves and the groups we value. I use balance consistently in my approach to my work as it guides me to consider my intention from multiple perspectives. My Spirit Boat is the vessel that frees me from limitations.

Comments

Popular Posts