Open Studios on the Horizon with MAU

Getting new work ready for the Mission Artists United Open Studios puts me in a productive place.
The exhibition is in my usual place @ 540 Alabama on April 20-21 from 11 am - 6 pm.
http://missionartistsunited.org/art_pieces/6754

Doing some printmaking @ John Gruenwald's studio has been like going to art heaven. Takes me back to college days when I fell in love with etching and lithography.
I could not do this kind of work in my own studio so it has been so exciting to go into a studio that is set up so nicely, is very welcoming and inspirational with John's work hung in his gallery section.
http://www.gruenwaldpress.com/
Here is one of my two lithos titled "Attention Deficit". It measures 12" x 16".
It was so exciting to be drawing on a stone that has the most delicious surface that accepts all kinds of mark making. I look forward to selling hand colored lithographs and etchings which is a long time dream come true.

It is also very satisfying to be back to drawing on paper and sometime recycled posters. And I put up a whole new page of drawings on my website. The thing I will be going into more is drawing on my iPad and posting those soon.

Another significant milestone happened March 16th when I did a Spirit Boat Workshop for Pet Loss @ Pet's Unlimited in conjunction with Dr. Betty Carmack, a leader in the field of pet grief.
http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs058/1102654199916/archive/1102681765993.html
She led the ritual to open and close and I presented my story and boat making techniques to 7 participants who made the sweetest boats ever. The workshop proceeds were donated to the shelter and brought me closer to my goal of the year- to collaborate with other teachers, counselor and therapists. 


This is the perfect conference room we used for the boat making workshop.

Some of my latest boats will be hung in my studio along with new paintings, drawings and a new installation outside my door. I like to use my outside wall to the best effect and because I have the height, there can be great drama. 

Our Developing Environments community received some nice press in the SF Chronicle around our 40 year anniversary.  Two photos of my work were included. 
The photographer, Lance Iversen, had great fun shooting my neighbors and chose my parental portrait busts as a provocative focus for me and my work. It references the very beginning of the Spirit Boats which were first made to honor my father, Paul and later my mother, Mary.





Comments

Popular Posts