The Art of Pausing

Practicing the Art of Pausing on my rooftop at DE
Last year I was fortunate to be included in a study group for a program called Inspire at the Osher Center, where I was taught mindful breathing exercises that helped me be much more aware of the way I use my breath. Women tend to hold their breath more than men do and that can lead to high blood pressure. The jewel in the crown of this program was a short exercise that I loved named PAX,  meaning Pause, Allow and Expand. Practicing these three things daily for 6 months gave me a chance to stop and take stock of what I was doing, what I wanted to do and where this could lead me. It became another kind of art form- one that engaged the inner self and was very rewarding. Up till the time I was invited into this program, I had a bad habit of rushing around while holding my breath. It was not a healthy way to go through a day.
When I was accepted into Inspire, I did not think this program would make a huge difference in my life but I was open to change and outcome. When I began, some of my PAX times were minimal, taking only about 1 minute but ideally, I would take one minute for each of the three steps. Working towards this goal, I have found that the best place for me is to go on my rooftop, either daytime or night and check in with myself. My building is large, 3/4 of a city block and has a wonderful 360 degree view open to the sky. It is a wonderful place to be fairly quiet even in the middle of the city. My rooftop is painted silver that is intensely reflective in the sunlight. It catches the sun and bounces the warmth upwards for those who want a sun bath. It is a kind of tar beach where I go to practice the art of pausing.
When I use PAX, I find it helps me to get grounded so that I can move on with more confidence and hopefulness. A big part of what I try to incorporate in what I share with people is about reflection. This can include self reflection and going inside of you
to listen to how your inner self can guide your outer self in the everyday world.

Comments

Popular Posts