Selling and not selling art

"Not Afraid Again"- Spirit Boat- Mixed Media Painting
I have been wanting to incorporate some of the great things I found in "Art and Fear" by David Bayles and Ted Orland because their words ring true for me. Today, something happened that connected me directly with concepts in this book. 
"Today, more than it was however many years ago, art is hard because you have to keep after it so consistantly. On so many different fronts. For so little external reward. Artists become veteran artists only by making peace not just with themselves, but with a huge range of issues".
The issue I faced was a potential buyer backing out of a sale. She had expressed interest when she saw my work on exhibit, sent me the email that stated she wanted to buy the painting, went on vacation and on return, she found that she no longer wanted to go through with the sale.
The part of "Art and Fear" that sticks with me is the words- "for so little external reward." The reward I had hoped for, was excited about, and one that would make a big difference,  was the sale of this painting. So many artists have this happen to them. The emotional connection is made between the viewer and the art. They get excitedand moved by art.  But other things come in between the experience and the impact of the art lessens or dissappears. I understand this natural sequence and consider that if anyone comes through and puts down money to buy an art work, it is the exception and not the norm.
So this brings up the questions that are raised in this book, why do I make art if there is a good chance that I will not sell anything? The answer in a nutshell is that art is my voice and I like to sing my language so others can hear.  To get past my disappointment, and a feeling of rejection, I went in my studio and did more painting. And I can display "Not Afraid Again" in my Open Studios next week, when the is the promise of connecting with that exceptional person.

Comments

Popular Posts