My Story Surrounded by Others

Spiritboatist at Forest Books
Surrounded by the realm of books  I laid out my favorite tools and sample boats getting ready for my demonstration of Spirit Boat Making at Forest Books.  I felt some good vibes in this environment since the owner, Gregory Wood carefully selects and lovingly arranges his inventory.
I am ready to tell the tale of my Spirit Boats amongst all these other stories and histories and it feels good to be associated with this place.
Looking at this photo, I am reminded of my mother, a Chicago high school librarian, who found her ideal job at my old Alma mater, Amundsen H.S. One of my favorite photos of her is taken in that library where she was so happy and on top of her game. This school was tightly woven into the fabric of my family because my father graduated from there 30 years before me, and my sister, two years my junior also graduated from there. So when my mom got hired there years after our graduations, she was very proud to be connected to this place.
Here I am looking a lot like her in that time, but in a totally different role. I am the Spiritboatist, with my stuff and stories that began as a way to honor my father. What is surprising to me is that in looking at this picture, filled with the ambiance of the books,  I feel I am honoring my mother too.

Comments

Popular Posts