The Flow of the Show

Arch of Hearts at the entry to the China Brotsky Gallery
For an artist, having a solo show is very rewarding. You get to design space around your work and create the ambiance too.
I was so happy on 2/3 and 2/4 when we hung the 130 Spirit Boats and it all worked together! Very close to what Leo and I had designed using InDesign. We had things measured and could see at a glance what would fit where.  But exhibitions are organic and the artist needs to also think about emotional space that is needed around each work.

The show title, Healing Spirit Boats-Open Your Heart and Take the Journey, became my guiding motto that helped me design the flow of the work. There were the 3 main themes that were woven throughout.
• The first 2 healing boats that start the show are paintings that evoke very different feelings. Each of shows the boats in transitional states.
• To demonstrate an open heart, I  designed an archway of Spirit Hearts to walk under- as a portal that opens to the long corridor that is the gallery. It is significant that there is a definite direction to this show so the visitor can feel a kind of journey.

View towards the end of the corridor with James at work
The opposite end
is marked by my Paper Moon hanging crossways like the hearts. To find healing, one needs to open their heart to allow acceptance of what is happening. So I made 17 spirit hearts as a span that connects the boats.

• I love choices so the journey can be experienced in one of a great variety of boats ready for the viewer to use.This show can be experienced on many levels and is designed to be an invitation to stop and reflect on what is calling to you.

The impact of so many boats is sustained along the corridor so that the theme is reinforced and interest mounts. These things were in my mind as I sorted out the work to find a good location for each to show it off to the best advatage.

The big reward was to see this show in reality- living in a beautiful gallery and finally flown from the nest (my studio) where it was born.



Comments

Popular Posts