Retrospective Time

My postcard designed by Leo Germano
This Open Studios I will be showing how I love paint.  https://www.artspan.org/events-programs/visit-sf-open-studios
It will be a Spirit Boat Painting RETROSPECTIVE  • 2006-2016.    "A retrospective exhibition presents works from an extended period of an artist's activity."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrospective

At my stage of life, I feel that  retrospective is an adequate word to use for it has the resonance that I want to create for the public. Visitors are offered an invitation to journey back in time to the beginning of this theme that began in honor of my father. The work is hung salon style in a single space, which means that a visitor can stand in the center of the studio and have a wide choice of boats to use for their own journey. Being surrounded by these boats can be very powerful and stimulating because the vibrational energy is very high.  One can see changes in my color palette. my style of working and how I have positioned the boat in space or a field of color. They are all unique and have their own story to tell. For me, it is all about how we are called to go further and it is best when we have a vessel to support us as we go.

This is also a chance for me to reflect on where I have been and make new relationships with each piece of art. Often looking at older work prompts me to shift things around, paint or mark over a layer, or radically change a work. And there are some paintings that are complete in themselves and need to further tending.

Over the past five years, I have also been consciously honoring my ancestors in my work and life. This action creates even more layers of connections that have helped me get a wider view to get over myself. One goal I set when I paint is to get my ego out of the way to allow for more of a guiding spirit to come forward. This path has lead me to open to a very spacious wisdom that I feel is going to be more and more important in our world.
I found a wonderful website by Daniel Foor, Ph.D. that I want to share if you are looking for more on this subject.  http://ancestralmedicine.org/ancestors/






Comments

Popular Posts