A Tasty Experience

Collection of Post Cards over 10 years of Open Studios
For over many years when Open Studios time rolled round,  I would scout around for ideal places to
leave my postcards. There are so many cafes and stores that I sense might bring luck in that interested parties would pick a card and find their way to my door. I find this task one of the most sensitive for it involves permissions for if the proprietors do not like this kind of advertisement they will throw them away.
All this time, I have wanted to leave my postcards or fliers at Tartine, one of my top picks.
http://www.sfchronicle.com/restaurants/article/Tartine-Bread-turns-into-an-American-culinary-7395755.php
They opened their first bakery at the corner of 18th and Guerrero in 2002 and immediately drew crowds to with their buttery delights and extraordinary bread. I did not patronize this popular spot but recognized that it attracts the kind of clientele who are ideal Open Studio goers because they are seeking quality. But I found no other fliers or cards on their shelves and I felt that I had no right to place my cards there. I asked several times but they turned me down.

In 2015, a new Tartine opens close to my door. They have expanded and added a new bakery and restaurant. http://sf.eater.com/2016/8/17/12513334/tartine-manufactory-san-francisco-mission-photos
In their planning stage, my artist collective worked with the manager to settle neighborhood issues. In our meetings, I asked him if he would help us promote our open studios and he was very agreeable to this. Tonight, it came full circle. He took a stack of my latest post cards to put by his menus. And he gave us a box of the best croissants ever!
Tartine croissants glow


Comments

Popular Posts