Open Studio Perspective

Photo by Leo Germano
November 5-6th found me greeting the public as a participant in the annual Art Span Open Studios.
https://www.artspan.org/visit-sf-open-studios/guide-map
People experienced a key piece of my world and the chance to imagine a journey in one of my Spirit Boats.  About 200 people visited. The rewards were meaningful exchanges with those who shared their stories.  It is a time full of potential to connect with people who are willing to be part of a continuing stream of Spirit Boat awareness.

Our neighborhood is changing fast- many more people coming to this high traffic multi-use area. In the old days, as in the 80's or 90's, our Open Studios felt more special as we were more of an art outpost in the city. Today, we have a lot of competition for audiences and collectors with huge non-live in buildings steps away and full of artists open to the public more often than we are.  Open Studios are now very intense and so much more art is available both to view and to purchase. We are an image crazy culture and demand for art can create a mixed blessing. Also, many millennials may have challenges in relating to the act of making art.

A big difference people notice when they walk into Developing Environments,
http://developingenvironments.org/ is how quiet our hallways are and that most studios are not open. Ours is a live/work building where our studios are included in our rents. If I had to pay additional rent for an art studio, I would be hustling a lot more to make my payments viable. It is always a joy to sell a work and see it go to a new home, but the true reason I even make the effort to open my door is to meet people and help boost the presence of my building in my neighborhood.

For me, this Artist' building has served as an incubator where I can grow my work in a steady and sustainable pace. It is important to me that I produce work that resonates with a spiritual energy that is produced without pressure of making a sale. One wonderful guide for me is the book, Art and Fear,
http://www.tedorland.com/artandfear/ by Ted Orland that gives me valuable perspective on myself.

My work is about meeting the unseen world in a vessel that holds me as I explore the richest territory that is always there for anyone who wants to find more. Open Studios means an open door for access to the realm of the imagination.

Phil - new owner of a Spirit Boat




Comments

Popular Posts