Projecting My Story

Projected Spirit Boats onto neighboring wall across Mariposa Street
This year, for Open Studios, I started something new by gathering images from my neighbor artists for a digital art show. My neighbor, Ron Chase stepped up to help project these onto the neighboring wall at night as he does for his annual 12th Night celebration.
The goal was to boost the event and interest in the artists who are part of Developing Environments. It also served as a way to bring us together in a new kind of shared experience.

Choosing the work I wanted to showcase had to answer the questions- how will this image read when it is blown up? What is the story here that wants to be told?
The strongest image was this iconic photo of me surrounded by my boats. A piece of my story was presented in the middle of the cityscape. What was most meaningful for me was the excitement of seeing my photo in relationship to a much larger environment- my neighborhood. Maybe the first of many other projections?

For other kinds of ideas about how artists use projections - here is a sampling.
https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrT6VyQEz1YtKQAA5wPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByNWU4cGh1BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=Artist+Works+Projected+Onto+Walls&fr=yhs-Lkry-SF01&hspart=Lkry&hsimp=yhs-SF01





Comments

Popular Posts