My first Christmas

My grandparents holding me for my first Christmas.
Christmas would not be complete without a tribute to my paternal grandparents. Their contribution to my life was huge. My first home was with them until my sister was born and our parents moved to our own home close by.
In the early 50's, there was a contest on match books that prompted "Draw Me". My grandfather asked me to keep trying and saw how easy it was for me to do this.
http://designobserver.com/feature/draw-me-schools-of-commercial-art/7687/
Add caption

They recognized that it was easy draw and capture human likeness which led to them to prompt my parents to enroll me in children's drawing and painting classes at the Art Institute of Chicago. At my young age, I was not ready for the commercial art career that was the incentive for the contest, but this activity did open up this path that might not have opened without this little match book contest. Who knows?
My grandfather was especially proud of my new role as an art student, because his father was a successful Chicago wood carver who also taught classes at the Art Institute. I loved the adult sophisticated world of the museum. It gave me exposure to a wide variety of art technique and approaches that has lasted all through the years.
Today, I come full circle as a teaching artist at museums in San Francisco where I lead kids on tours and in classes.
Starting life in a family of art appreciators was a one of the greatest gifts I have ever received.


Comments

Popular Posts