The Years Turn

2013 ended with my gathering all the little boats I made as part of my most recent installation piece "Auto-boatography", laying them out and identifying each. On Dec 31st, I made a tag for each year of my life that I then attached to a boat. The entire work will be a part of my solo exhibition at the China Brotsky Gallery in conjunction with the Living Shaman Museum in February.
When I conceptualized this work 5 months ago, it was a chance to see my years in terms of Spirit Boats. The choice that I made was to make the boats first rather than having a particular year in mind as I made the boat. That would have taken a lot longer since that process would be overloaded with decision making.


The entire piece as a whole was foremost in my mind, not all the little pieces that would be collected and then become one work. Using my intuition, I had to choose the boat that would best represent the year I moved to San Francisco or the year I got married.  It was very reflective to see my life played out as boats across my studio floor.
Finishing all the boats by the end of the year cleared the studio for the new year.


Comments

Popular Posts